How To Use Your GI Bill® and VA Benefits for Flight Training

Active Duty Military and Veterans – GI Bill® Educational Benefits: Attention active duty military and veterans! You have earned your benefits and we can help you to discover if you are eligible to use your GI Bill® VA educational benefits to attend flight school (helicopter or fixed wing) at Southern Utah University (SUU).
Helicopter Flying past country homesHave you always dreamed of flying helicopters or fixed wing aircraft?  Is it your goal to become a commercial pilot?  Do you desire to fly for a living? Are you career-minded and looking for a career in aviation?  Then call Upper Limit Aviation (ULA).  ULA is uniquely partnered with Southern Utah University. We can help you design the perfect civilian career pathway, from the military to college, and fulfill your dreams… reach your career goals… and start you flying as a career helicopter or airplane pilot.
Our Student Services Department can help guide you through the admissions process  – helping you to apply to use your GI Bill® benefits. If you are eligible your educational benefits can pay for helicopter or fixed wing flight training while working toward earning a college degree. For more information about Post 9/11 GI Bill® and Montgomery Bill Educational Benefits visit the following web pages or

Tecnam PTFor the absolute authority regarding GI Bill Education Benefits for flight training offered by the VA please go to the official U.S. government website at “GI Bill®” is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

Through our unique partnership with Southern Utah University  you may be able to pay for flight school training using your GI Bill® benefits (benefits are based on your individual eligibility). For those who have served on active duty after Sept 11, 2001 GI Bill® and VA Benefits Flight Training may be available for Chapter 33 benefits by enrolling in the Professional Pilot Program offered by Southern Utah University.

Gi Bill® Educational Benefits

If you are currently serving in the U.S. military, or if you are a military veteran or an employee of the Department of Veterans Affairs, you may be eligible to use your GI Bill® education benefits to attend flight school training. This includes active-duty service members, reservists, and veterans of the armed forces:

  • The Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB) reimburses tuition costs through an educational assistance allowance.
  • The Post-9/11 GI Bill® applies direct funds to cover a portion of costs for tuition, fees, housing and books.
  • Tuition Assistance gives a portion of funds to cover costs of tuition and fees. This program is sponsored by the specific branch of the military you serve.
  • The VA Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program offers benefits to veterans with service-connected disabilities.
  • The Yellow Ribbon Enhancement Program covers tuition costs that have not been applied under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®. Visit to view the number of students and contribution amount per academic year.

Pilots in cockpit Benefits are highly individual. ULA does not have the ability to adjudicate which type of benefit a student will receive. However, ULA’s staff can assist those who qualify with the appropriate forms and necessary paperwork.  Upper Limit Aviation (Part 61 & Part 141 flight school) is in association with SUU which offers Veterans flight school college courses (Professional Pilot Programs) that might be funded through GI Bill® benefits.  Call us for more information about Veterans Services, or click here.

VA and GI Bill® Resources

Veteran Educatonal Benefits
Southern Utah University – Veterans Office

If you wish to use your VA benefits to attend flight school you should first apply for your benefits at After you complete the online steps, your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) will be sent to you in the mail.

To apply for your G.I. Bill benefits go to the VA website (online application) or call the Department of Veterans Affairs Educational Customer Service Hotline at 888.442.4551 (request to have an application form mailed to you). Veterans interested in applying and enrolling at Southern Utah University regardless of your G.I. Bill eligibility, should immediately fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Information about FAFSA forms are available on the SUU websites.

Please Note: The GI Bill Educational Benefits mentioned on our website are available to flight students enrolled into Southern Utah University. Veterans enrolled directly into Upper Limit Aviation, and not enrolled Southern Utah University, may be still eligible to access limited VA Educational Benefits. For more information regarding your individual benefit allocation please contact the VA, or call the ULA Student Service department.  For more information about your eligibility and the GI Bill® Benefits, click here.

Questions? Need more information? We’re happy to help.  Call us today on 844-iFLYEDU.

Common Courses

  • Aviation Orientation
  • Private Pilot Airplane
  • Instrument Airplane
  • Commercial Pilot Airplane
  • Certified Flight Instructor Airplane
  • Certified Flight Instructor Instrument Airplane
  • Air Transportation
  • Aircraft Systems
  • Fixed-Wing SEL Private Pilot Solo Lab
  • Fixed Wing-SEL Private Pilot Certification Lab
  • Fixed-Wing Private Pilot Ground School
  • Fixed-Wing MEL Private Pilot Add-On Lab
  • Certified Flight Instructor Ground School
  • CFI Instrument Ground School


Upper Limit Aviation has developed unique partnerships with institutions of higher learning.

ULA provides aspiring student pilots an opportunity to attend flight school while earning either an Associate of Applied Science, Bachelor of General Studies, of Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies.  This not only enhances a career in aviation but also provides students with a broad knowledge base for lifelong employment and career advancement possibilities.